Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Rant for the day.


Vickie Kline

10:25 AM  -  Public   via Google+
Rant for the day.

In the linked article below, Brian Matthews describes a frustration that I've been wrestling more and more. The information I want is available, but not in an interface that allows me to work with it that way I want.

Examples:

If I want to post this post to Blogger (also a Google product), I have to copy the text and use a "New Post " Browser extension to do it. If I want to share it to Twitter, I need to use a different G+ extension. And if I want to post to LinkedIn, I have to pay monthly for the extension. (I'd tell you what it the extension is, but it only works in Chrome about half the time - this is one of the times that it didn't load).

Another one - I like to share images from 500px to Pinterest. If I use the 500px app on my iPad or any of the feed reader streams for 500px, there is no "Pin It" button. For a "Pin it" button I have to go to a laptop or workstation with a full browser. But if I use the button, it doesn't capture the metadata for the photograph, so I can't give credit to the photographer unless I cut and paste pieces of the metadata by hand Solution? I go to the 500px app on the iPad. Email myself the pictures (which sends them with the metadata). I then open the image link, click the "Pin it" button in the browser, and copy the metadata from the email.

And one more - has anyone found an ideal feed reader? I started with Google Reader, but the iPad app version doesn't have all the sharing options.
Tried Google Current and Flipboard, but they don't track unread vs read. Not good if you can't read every day. Using Feedly now, but the display options always seem to be either too little or too much. So you choose between too much scrolling or too much clicking. I end up emailing myself individual articles so I can read and share them later.

In my search for the perfect feed reader, I'm beginning to feel like the Princess and the Pea. Each new one seems comfortable until I find that darn little bump.
Collapse this post
The (Social) Reader’s Dilemma: Content + Container = Context - The Ubiquitous Librarian - The Chronicle of Higher Education »
“Content, not containers!” This has been a library theme for a while now: unbundling the meat from the sandwich. It's about the text and/or images, not necessary the printed vessel. As scholarly m...

No comments: