Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A few thoughts on citation management - Part 1 - Connotea

I've been experimenting with free citation management tools for use with a sabbatical project. All of them have strengths and weaknesses.

Connotea is a web-based service targeted at academics. Strengths include anywhere access, browser button for capture, ability to create multiple collections, private and public citations, and tagging. You can also import citations from other reference management programs if they are in
RIS format. An advanced feature is the ability to configure for OpenURL linking via your local library.

My main complaint about Connotea is that I haven't had much luck with it actually extracting citation information. The help files say that it works for some sites, but I haven't encountered any. I really don't want to transfer the citation information by hand.

No comments: